Orecchiette is a pasta originating from the southern Italian region of Apulia (the heel of the boot). The name orecchiette mean ‘little ear’, because the pasta looks like little ears. It’s a versatile pasta – great for tomato based sauces As well.
4 tab extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, thinly sliced
6 anchovy fillets
grated parmesan or pecorino to serve
1. Cook the broccoli in salted boiling water until soft. Remove the stems and set aside.
2. Cook the orecchiette in salted boiling water until al dente. Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water, then drain the pasta and set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, and gently sauté the garlic, chilli and anchovies for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the broccoli, and break up with a wooden spoon.
5. Increase the heat, add ½ cup of reserved pasta water, and cook until reduced by about half.
6. Toss the pasta through the sauce and serve with grated parmesan or pecorino cheese.